Fencing Calgary After-School Fencing Programs
PROGRAMFencing In Your School!
Provide a new and exciting after-school activity option for your students!
Fencing Calgary is a non-profit Local Sport Association dedicated to the accessibility and development of the sport of fencing for children and youth at the introductory and community levels. After-School programs offer participants the option to try a new activity in their school without the barriers of transportation, equipment and high program costs associated with sport participation in Calgary.
Fencing Calgary After-School fencing is easy to schedule (short sessions & flexible facility requirements), cost effective to participants families and professionally coached. Programming is applicable for grades 3 through 12.
- Provides an after-school activity option that potentially provides a bridge to further participation in physical activity and an active living lifestyle
- Coaches are experienced and highly trained (National Coaching Certification Program)
- Many program coaches are professional coaches (NCCP level 3,4) and some have an Alberta Teaching Certificate
- Emphasis on fun and inclusive participation: “Learn while having fun & Have fun while learning!” in a safe, stimulating and positive environment
- A Physical Literacy focus is embedded within the program activities
- Utilizes modified equipment appropriate for age and physical size
learnGoals & Objectives
- Introduce basic fencing skills and rules in cooperation with partners and groups utilizing the concepts of fair play and respect for a safe environment
- Develop and introduce fundamental movement skills (agility, balance, coordination)
- To develop basic motor skills
- To develop hand-eye coordination
- Provide an opportunity for students to try fencing for the first time or to continue participation after an in-school PE program
learnHow It Works
- Fencing Calgary partners with schools interested in sponsoring an after-school program by providing all programming requirements (experienced coaching / instruction, equipment, resources and facility rental costs when a facility space donation is impossible)
- Sponsoring schools assist in helping to create awareness of the program through the student body and with parents
- To promote accessibility, the overall costs of the program are partially subsidized by Fencing Calgary’s partners.
- There is an affiliate fee to Fencing Canada and a low program fee to participants families.
- Schools are not responsible for collecting fees or managing registration
easyProgram Equipment & Facility
- All required equipment is included in the program cost and provided by Fencing Calgary
- Equipment is modified in size and composition dependant on the age / grade of the class (modified plastic and foam equipment is utilized at lower grade levels) much like floor hockey or lacrosse
- Facility rental costs can be provided to schools if a donation of space is impossible
- After-school programs are best delivered in a gymnasium environment however due to the nature of the activity, other spaces such as lunch areas, multi-purpose rooms or even outside is appropriate to help with program
- Fencing Calgary recognizes the unparalleled value of teacher involvement in its programming
- Any teacher with an interest in learning the sport and helping their students learn the activity alongside our professional coaches is invited to participate in After-School Fencing!
- Being a Phys. Ed teacher is NOT required!
- Fencing Calgary offers FREE teacher-coach and parent-coach training sessions for those interested in getting involved and learning more!
After-School Program Options
3 hour program– 1 hour blocks (3 days; 1 hour per day ANY combination of days)
Cost to The Participant:
$30 for registration AFA / CFF Affiliate
$30 for program fee
- Participants learn all basic skills, rules and conduct of participation
- Upon completion, participants can continue participation in their community
- Program utilizes mini-fencing (modified fencing – plastic equipment)
6 hour program– 1 hour blocks (3 weeks; 2 days per week OR 6 weeks; 1 day per week)
Cost To the Participant:
$30 for registration AFA / CFF Affiliates
$60 for program fee
- Participants are ready for active participation within a Community Fencing Program
- Can begin ‘yellow level’ in the Canadian Fencing Federation Badge Program
- Can participate in a mini-meet with peers
- Ready to join club fencing if desired
- Program utilizes mini-fencing equipment and conventional electronic scoring equipment
Fencing Calgary will customize a fencing program to suit any schools schedule and individual requirements. Contact us for more information.
Professional Certified Coaches
- Programs are delivered by professional and NCCP certified fencing coaches, certified by:
National Coaching Certification Program Canada, Canadian Fencing Federation, Alberta Fencing Association.
- Instructors are from Gladiators Fencing Club, Calgary, Priori Epee Fencing Club, Calgary.
- All coaches have police, vulnerable sector checks.
- All associated organizations have 2 million CGL insurance.
- Participants must be members of the Alberta Fencing Association and the Canadian Fencing Federation.
- There is a nominal program fee for participants.
- Fees and affiliation collection are the responsibility of Fencing Calgary, not the hosting school.